Friday, June 18, 2010

Pay it forward

Last year was to date the worst year of my life. But through it I realized then and even more now, that we saw the best in not only ourselves, but the people around us; the people we loved, the people we knew, the people we worked with, even strangers. The hardest fight of our life brought out amazing blessings to us and around us. We wondered how we would make it through. We wondered how we would make our bills, feed our children, pay our house payment. There were so many people that pulled for us...we received food, school supplies, home care supplies, money...all from friends and family but also anonymously. We were so incredibly humbled by it all and wondered often how we could possibly deserve all of this kindness. How could we ever repay it.

I believe God has brought us the opportunity to pay some of those blessings forward.

Mark and I met this amazing couple (through WoW...but we won't hold that against them!) who have been hit by the recession and it's domino effect. Over the last two years I have grown very close with Barbara (I call her Boobie although to be honest I cannot recall how that started), chatting literally for hours every night via texting! Seriously...over 2800 texts one month!!! It was kind of like an online friendship I suppose...without the computer! So anyway, we finally had the opportunity to meet up with them at the coast a few weeks ago and truly it was as if we've known each other our entire lives. It was just comfortable and easy and we had a fantastic time!

Over the last couple of weeks we've been in discussions with her about the possibility of them moving here. They currently live in Salem and for a multitude of reasons it's not the best fit for them and their 8 year old son. One night while chatting I blurted out that they should live with us! WHAT? Where the heck did that come from? Was I nuts??? But that offer most definitely came from God. Boobie was shocked. As well I would have been in her shoes! She said absolutely not, thanks but no way would it work, no way could they impose, no way would her husband Shane agree, no way would her family let her, no way would her son be okay with it, no way would MY husband agree!!!....on and on and on came the "reasons" and the more she came up with, the more I knew it was the perfect idea.

As discussions continued and her multitude of reasons started to diminish we started to talk to people in our lives about it. There was not one...not ONE person either of us talked to that thought this was a bad idea. If that's not God's work I don't know what is. Long story short, they will be coming to stay with us starting in August.

The Lord works in mysterious ways, it's true. I've seen it over and over in my short life. Mark and I went through a tremendous trial last year with so many people partaking in God's plan in helping us through it. I believe with my entire soul that this is God's way of using us in His plan to help this family. I cannot wait for them to get here, I cannot wait to build our friendships, I cannot wait to see what amazing experiences and challenges the Lord has in store for all of us!

I ask you all to pray for us as we all know it won't be fun and games 100% of the time...but we also know it's right. I look forward to beginning this journey!

1 comment:

Miss Mandy said...

Wow. I've had those things happen too. Def a God thing!