Friday, August 21, 2009

End of this road, beginning of the next.

This year has been hard, eventful, fast, full of lessons, full of growth, amazing and devastating. Mark and I have learned so much about each other, our family, our faith, our passions and what's really important at the end of the day. We needed this year. We needed all the pain and worry, all the time we spent together both conscious and not, the eye opening experience of cancer. We are different people than we were last year at this time. We are better friends, better parents, better partners. We are each other's best friend, confidante and love and never before has that been more apparent than it is today. I don't know that we would have ever figured out how important we are to each other without the hardships and blessings we faced this year.

Yesterday marked the end of cancer for Mark. Yes, there is a 65% chance that it "could come back" over the next 5 years, and then there's more statistics that will be thrown in our face time and time again. But WE know, as we know that we have received more blessings than battles this last year, that it is over. We received final word from Dr. Caton yesterday afternoon that Mark's bone marrow test came back completely cancer free. He is in complete remission.

We also found out last Friday Allvac ATI will be keeping him on. Apparently there are many people that went to bat for his return. When he called to see what needed to be done to explain his situation to the powers that be, he was told it was done. No need to worry, no need to stress, his job is secure because there are people above him that care enough to take care of it. 'Don't worry about anything but getting better', was the response he got. Praise God. He will be returning to work on November 1, 2009 to his same job, with his same pay and benefits. We are humbled and so very grateful to everyone who took the time to make that possible. Thank you SO much!

As I watch my husband laugh again, watch him wrestle with our kids, mow the lawn, help me clean the house, smile at me from across the room with a rosy healthy glow in his cheeks I can't help but tear up. It was six months ago that, I can admit now, I almost lost him. I look back and I can say I was within days of losing him. I knew it then, but couldn't go there. I know it now and can just praise God that He let me keep Mark. There is so much I have left to learn from him, and he from me. There is so much for him left to do here. I know how blessed I am. I know how lucky I am.

I want to thank you all from the bottom of my heart for all your prayers, your cards, your calls, your thoughts. Thank you for caring enough about us to keep up with this blog. We are blessed to have you in our lives and we know that! God bless you all!

1 comment:

Miss Mandy said...

I am so happy for your family. Love you guys.