Sunday, June 14, 2009

I wanna be a blank slate

You might think I mistyped my title. Maybe thinking I meant to say "I want a blank slate". But as you know...today is Sunday and ONCE AGAIN Pastor Jim was speaking directly to me! I swear that man sits down every week and thinks to himself, 'Ok, what lesson does Becky need to learn this week?'. I'm sure he does.

So if you recall, last week was all about being present. Without being present how are we to hear what the Lord has for us to hear? This week was about coming to Him as a blank slate so we are able to fill up with Him. There's an awesome song by a former American Idol contestant who came out with a Christian album a couple years back. Empty Me by Chris Sligh. I LOVE his music! In this particular song he sings;
"Empty me
Of the selfishness inside
Every vain ambition
And the poison of my pride
And any foolish thing my heart holds to
Lord empty me of me
So i can be
Filled with you"
This is the lesson I took from today's sermon as well. It's so important in our walk with God to not show up with our own agenda, our own expectations, our own conditions. We need to be open to receive Him, to learn what He teaches, to grow in His love, to pass on His word.

"Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as living scrifices, holy and pleasing to God--this is your spiritual act of worship. Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is--his good, pleasing and perfect will." -Romans 12:1 & 2

I'm guessing that the next chapter will be about listening. We can be present and be open but without listening...well, what's the point?

I found a video of the aforementioned song...take 4:33 minutes and listen. It's beautiful!


No comments: