Tuesday, January 6, 2009

That's my boy!!!

Okay...so many of you know that I have this tradition every Christmas season of taking my son to see The Nutcracker. It started with my mother in law wanting to take Allison. Welllll, Allie HATES it! LOL But three years ago, before Allie expressed interest of not going (ie: whined "Moooommm, do we have to do this again???") we took Luke to see it. He was four and I swear to you, the boy DID NOT MOVE the entire production! I was floored! So then last year, I took him, just Lukey and Mama on a date! It was wonderful! And once again, he absolutely LOVED it! This year, Grace said SHE wanted to go, so I took her too. Grace and Allie have a LOT in common...'nuff said.
In the second half of The Nutcracker there is a lot of different dancers that come out and do a variety of dances. One of the most popular for the crowd, myself AND my son are the russion dancers. Still ballet, of course, but they throw in some of those squat kick things, say "HEY" a lot and just generally are real crowd pleasers! During their few minutes on stage, my sweet boy leaned over to me and said, "See, boys are good ballet dancers, Mom!" I replied, "Yes they are! Do you want to try it?" The look on his face was absolutely priceless! He got the BIGGEST smile on his face and in his best hushed, screeched voice said "CAN I????". Be still my heart!

So, since then, every week or so, I bring it up ever so non-chalantly to see if 1. it was a genuine interest and not just cuz we were AT the Nutcracker, and 2. he is STILL interested. It was, and he is. So, I promised him I'd look into it at the beginning of the year. I made some calls today and he is starting this Thursday at The Eugene Ballet Company. They actually have an all boys class, taught by a man up until he's 9!! I couldn't believe it!
So, my little Star Wars loving, shooter game playin, make everything explode, all american boy wants to DANCE! Can we all say SWOON!!! Oh man, the girls are gonna love him! Lucky for him he's got a terrific self esteem cuz if he keeps up with this and loves it like I think he will there's bound to be some teasing later on in life! LOL! He'll be in great shape though!

I'll be sure to post some pics of him in class and in his new dance attire!! I CAN'T wait!!
OH by the way...to those that are thinking it. I promise that in NO way did I push this on him! What would I care anyway? Not like I ever did ballet nor had any interest in doing it...it's all him!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahh, I think it's wonderful. Tried it with little Ms. Sassy pants when she was six. She hated it. But she is more of a gymnastics, Tai Kwon Do, Horse back riding kind of girl.

(((Go Lukie!!!)))

Miss Mandy said...

OMW - I wish he was my son.

I hope it's Mark Siegel at EBC. He's da bomb! I took from him for a short time, but took from his mom for YEARS.

Can't wait to see pics!